A couple days ago I received a postcard in the mail. It was a 4.25″ x 5.5″ sized postcard, which means teeny-tiny.
I couldn’t help by noticed the front of the postcard with the pictures on it. I was wondering what services this postcard is marketing and, besides the pictures, the only word on the front is ‘SPRING.’ After looking at the pictures I could take a wild guess…
So, before I go on, I want to see if you can guess what this postcard is marketing.
Here’s the front:
Well, what kind of services is this postcard marketing?
Go ahead and reply to your email or comment in the comment section below (click here to go to the webpage so you can comment).
I’m going to reveal the answer in…
Allllllrighty then! Did you make your guess? No? Well go make your guess now!
Ok, now did you make your guess? “Yes!” Good! Great! Grand!
If you said landscaping services then you’d be… wrong. Sorry. But I thought it was for landscaping services too, especially looking at the pictures.
And, if you said anything else besides landscaping, you’re probably wrong too.
So, what kind of services is this postcard marketing? Well, take a look at the back:
By the looks of it, if you’re not from Ohio or the surrounding states, then you’ve probably never heard of Howard Hanna. What is it? And, you’re probably still wondering what services this postcard is offering by first glance.
But, if you read it, it says, “Coming soon… Think Spring!” Yep, spring is definitely coming. So what?
The message continues, “Cabin Fever is about to turn into Spring Fever.” Ok… I’m still lost. What does this have to do with anything?!!!
And continues with, “It is an exciting time of year… a breath of fresh air. Whether buying or selling, Spring holds new beginnings! We can explore the possibilities together. Call…”
Did… did you catch that? I saw, “whether buying or selling…” in there. It must be talking about buying and selling spring cleaning supplies, yes?
It’s about buying or selling a house. Who would have thought?!!! And, if I had to guess, this agent probably got ZERO responses from it.
This is a HORRIBLE postcard. Unfortunately, this is the garbage most people send out. Why? Because they don’t know any better. Sad.
Here’s a few ideas to make this postcard better:
- Trash it and start over. Really.
- If you’re selling real estate, then have pictures of HOUSES. It’s really that simple. And, it’s better if they’re houses you just listed or just sold. And mention it! Oh, and you could even include testimonials from the buyers/sellers of said house.
- Have an offer and Call-to-Action! “We can explore the possibilities together. Call…” is not an offer or CTA. It’s basically saying leave me alone I don’t want your business. Instead, offer a Lead Generation Magnet. Since I was a real estate agent, I offered free Home Seller Guides to get potential home sellers to raise their hands (worked like a charm). “Thinking about selling your house? Request Your FREE Home Seller’s Guide! Simply visit… or call…”
- Include a ‘real’ website and email address, incase that’s how someone wants to contact you. The broker websites don’t cut it. You need your own website so you can have your own lead generation magnets on their with opt-in forms, so you can then put your prospects through a funnel.
- Make it bigger!!! BIGGER!!! I was sending out 8.5″ x 11″ postcards. Now that’s big, and will get noticed. This little postcard the agent sent probably got lost in a lot of people’s mail and never got seen. Go BIG and be SEEN!!!
So there you have it.
No matter what business you’re in make sure you’re not sending garbage like this! Ok. If I find out this is what you’re sending I’m going to be extremely distraught.
Got it?!!! Good.
Now go take action!